Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Surprise!


headin' home

As a surprise to my mom and dad, I caught the early train for home Monday morning. Waking up early on any given Monday morning is hard. Getting out of bed Monday morning after not sleeping a wink? Darn near impossible. If for no other reason, this should show anyone how much I love my family. My wonderful neighbor and her little boy picked me up at the platform. I have never seen a kid so excited to see me - but I was just as happy to see him. His third birthday is in a week or so. Keep in mind, the only person who knew I was coming home was my neighbor picking me up.
After a short drive home, I slid my key into the lock on my door and pushed it open with a "Hello!". I heard my dad's voice, filled with a culmination of confusion and the silent thought of "fuck-someone-is-here-and-I-need-to-go-to-work" As he walked out of his shop, I saw my mom at the top of the stairs. They just couldn't believe I was there. Gotta love that feeling.
Brief catching up, mom and dad headed down to the restaurant, and I...napped. Nothing like a solid five hours of day sleeping.
Eventually I headed down to the restaurant, where I was nearly jumped upon my arrival by a dear friend. Literally, she threw down the ice cream she was eating onto the dish table and did sort of a leaping hug thing.
The night was full of the best surprises for everybody. My grandparents were shocked to see me, especially at work on a day that should have been vacation for me. Not 10 minutes after I donned my apron, my tennis coach (perhaps more accurately one of my closest and longest friends) stepped up to the counter to order our signature sundae, the Jigger. I could have cried, I was so happy with the coincidence and the many that followed.
After closing and some hard goodbyes, we commenced with our end of season tradition - champagne and fresh donuts on the deck, under the green and yellow lights - with a few family friends. A toast to Bruce Sensenig, a good friend and volunteer firefighter, who died on his way to save lives.

Front Porch Thing - Little Big Town

I've come to realize that your family is the people who surround and love you - regardless of blood relation. If home is where family is, and you are surrounded by those who love and care about you, you could never be far from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment