Monday, September 9, 2013

Chris' Jazz Cafe

Not the best photo, I'm aware. Still. Get here.

LISTEN TO THIS. JUST DO IT. <----(click on the link here to listen to "Destiny")
I can't say anything negative about this place. Ever. I love when people say to me "so have you ever been to that Jazz place in the city? Chris'?" My response: "That's my spot!" This either is or should be anyone and everyone's place for a fancy date, a lazy night just listening to jazz munching on some sweet potato fries, or just somewhere to enjoy time with close friends, amazing food, and even better music.  The cover price in my experience has been between $5-$15 and usually on the cheaper end of things if you bring your college ID along. 
 If you're a Philly native or merely passing through, a visit to this locale (what appears to just be a hole in the wall from the outside) on Sansom street is a must. But please, look presentable. The performers are pouring out their heart and soul for you, so the least we can do as an audience is be tolerable to look at. Advocate for the arts. This is one of the last places to see live jazz on a regular basis in Philadelphia - a city that used to be filled with this soulful music on nearly every corner.
 In a crazy city, Chris' place makes my life feel a little more homey amidst the chaos of sirens, the subways screeching metal against metal, and blocks out the "city smell" of subway, urine, fresh cigarettes, and stale weed that has permeated any porous surface it could come into contact with. Beautiful, isn't it?

Lawrence Jones - The Flute Player from Friday Night at Chris'  - check out his website. He does this awesome thing when he switches between vocals and flute and sax. Give it a listen.It was so good I bought a CD. I don't do CDs usually, so this should be a good sign.




No comments:

Post a Comment